HOW TO ADOPT FROM GRRNT
Please review our FAQs before proceeding to determine if you are eligible to adopt. GRRNT only adopts to families in the Dallas / Fort Worth area (within 60 miles of the 75261 zip code). If you live outside of DFW, please do an internet search for Golden Retriever rescue groups in your area. Or, check with your local shelters. Because we do not always know a dog’s history, GRRNT only adopts to families whose children are 5 and up.
The GRRNT adoption process can seem a bit confusing sometimes. We’ve written up this step-by-step guide to help you understand what is going on and to help navigate through the process.
Adoption Fees: $425 age 0-12 months old; $375 age 1 to 7 years old; $200 age 8 and older
Step 1: Complete our online adoption application.
- Applications expire 4 months from the date submitted. If it has been longer than 4 months since you submitted your application, please submit a new application.
- If your application has expired you must submit a new one in order to be approved. For assistance resubmitting your application please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Typically within 5-10 days, you will receive an email indicating that your application is:
- “Pending” while we complete the vet check. We may also reach out to ask for additional information. Be sure to check your junk/spam.
- “Approved” if your vet check is satisfactory. A home visit will be done if you are selected for a dog after attending a meet and greet.
- “Regretfully Not Approved” and the email will explain the reason.
Note: If you’ve not heard back from GRRNT within 5-10 days of submitting your Adoption Application, please check your email’s spam/junk folder as notification emails will come from a goldenretrievers.org email address. If our reply is not in your spam/junk folder, please email us at email@example.com. Response times vary because GRRNT is completely volunteer-based.
Step 3: Participate in the next virtual Meet & Greet to meet the available dogs along with their foster family.
- Only approved applicants may attend the Meet & Greet. PRIOR to coming to the Meet & Greet please make sure that you’ve submitted an application within the last 4 months, AND received an approval email that states, “… you meet our preliminary criteria as a potential GRRNT adopter.”
Step 4: Continue to work with the Adoption Coordinator to find a good match. The Adoption Coordinator may reach out to you when a potential match has been identified. Don’t hesitate to check in with the Adoption Coordinator to see how things are going or to mention a new dog you’ve seen on our website…and don’t forget to keep coming to Meet & Greets.
Step 5: When a potential match is found, the Adoption Coordinator will forward your application to the foster family. Each dog typically gets four to five very strong applications. After reviewing all of the applications and considering what is best for that specific dog, the foster family will either pass on your application or arrange to bring the dog to your home for a home visit. The final adoption decision is up to the foster family with guidance from the Adoption, Medical, and Foster Coordinators.
- The foster family will notify the applicants that they were NOT the best fit and encourage them to try again. Head back to Step 4 and contact the Adoption Coordinator to discuss options.
- The foster will notify the applicants that they ARE the best fit for the dog, and will arrange a time to bring the dog to the adopter’s home for a home visit. If the home visit goes well, they will complete an Adoption Agreement with the adopter, and collect the adoption fee. The dog will stay with the new family at that time.
Step 6: GRRNT will provide the adopter with the full vet history and all vet records for the dog immediately upon adoption. GRRNT will follow-up with you periodically to ensure the dog is doing well in your home and address any other questions or concerns.
Step 7: Keep us informed with pictures, updates, and stories. We love to hear how former GRRNT dogs are doing and want to spread the word of their happy lives. Just send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll take it from there.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
Click here: FAQ section